UT Southern Student Lending Policies
All UT Southern students must present a valid student ID in order to check out items. Students may check out books for two weeks. Reference books and magazines may not be checked out. Audio-visual materials, such as DVDs, may be checked out for two days. Reserve materials loan periods vary from professor to professor and range from two hours to one week in duration. Books may be renewed if not wanted by another borrower.
Borrowers are responsible for all materials signed out in their names
Do not lend your card, or any items checked out on your card, to anyone else. Cards may be used only by the person to whom they are issued. You cannot borrow library materials without presenting your card. We will hold books for up to 24 hours if you forget your card. If your card is lost, please notify us as soon as possible.
Faculty and Staff Lending Policies
Faculty may check out circulating books for a semester. At the end of each semester, you will be sent a list of books checked out to you and will be asked if you want them renewed. Other staff, and faculty or staff spouses, may check out books for two weeks. Faculty library cards are not typically issued. Instead, an individual patron record is maintained. We can create a card if that is your wish.
Faculty may also make arrangements to borrow items, such as reference books or magazines which do not normally circulate; please contact a librarian. Faculty and staff may borrow videos for home use for one week. You are responsible for items signed out in your name, so please be careful about lending these items to students.
Lending Policies for the General Public
Adult residents of Giles and surrounding counties may apply for library cards, which they must present in order to check out library materials. A valid photo ID and a piece of mail with current address must be presented when applying. Cards are valid for one year from the date of issuance and may be renewed upon expiry.
Public patrons can park in the amnesty lot by the bookstore, or may request a temporary parking pass by calling Security at 931-309-7502. The full parking policy can be found in this brochure.
Please note: Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian while in the library.
Public users may check out books for two weeks. Reference books, magazines, and items in the Teacher’s Resource Center or Nursing Collection may not be checked out. Audio-visual materials, with the exception of DVDs, may be checked out for two days. Books may be renewed if not wanted by another borrower. Books may be renewed once by phone. All subsequent renewals must be done in person. Public users are limited to a maximum of two items at any one time during the fall and spring academic terms; during the summer the limit shall be five.
Borrowers are responsible for all materials signed out in their names. Do not lend your card, or any items checked out on your card, to anyone else. Cards may be used only by the person to whom they are issued; we may ask for a second ID at any time.
You may not borrow library materials without presenting your card. We will hold books for up to 24 hours if you forget your card. If your card is lost, please notify us as soon as possible.
Fines and Fees
RULES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE (SOUTHERN)
- CHAPTER 1720-07-02 / LIBRARY FINES / TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1720-07-02-.01 / LIBRARY FINES.
- There are no fines for overdue items borrowed from the library’s regular book collection or for overdue library equipment, unless those items are subject to recall as provided in Section .01(3) or deemed lost as provided in Section .01(4).
- Hourly reserve items are subject to an overdue fine of 25 cents per hour, up to a limit of $10.00 for each item. Daily reserve items are subject to an overdue fine of $1.00 per day, up to a limit of $10.00 for each item.
- All items from the library’s regular book collection and all library equipment are subject to recall. When a recall is requested, a new due date is set for ten (10) days from the date of the request. If the recalled item is not returned within that ten-day period, the borrower will be blocked from use of the library and subject to a fine of 50 cents per day up to a maximum of $10.00.
- Overdue notices will be sent to the borrower when any regular item, reserve item, or item of library equipment becomes due. If the borrower does not return the item within the time specified in the notice, the item will be deemed lost. A charge for the item’s replacement cost plus a $10.00 processing fee will be sent to the borrower twenty-one (21) days after the first overdue notice.
- If fines for overdue items and charges for lost items are not paid as required, the borrower will be blocked from borrowing items from the library until the outstanding obligations are paid.
Authority: T.C.A. § 49-9-209(e).
Photocopies, Printouts & Laminating
- Students will have their printing and photocopying deducted from their print/copy accounts.
- Students: 20¢ per linear inch. 10¢ on small laminator. Faculty/Staff: 40¢/20¢ Public: 50¢/25¢
- QUIET: The entire library is a quiet study area. Groups wishing to work together may request a study room.
- FOOD AND DRINK: Food is not permitted in the library. Closed-container drinks are acceptable.
- PHONE: There is no telephone service available for use in the library.
- CELL PHONE: Cell phone use is not allowed in the library. Please turn cell phones off before entering.
Computer Use Policy
- UT SOUTHERN STUDENTS, FACULTY, AND STAFF ALWAYS HAVE PRIORITY
- Computer time is free for all UT Southern students, faculty, staff, and public members.
- Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- One user per terminal.
- No chat rooms or MUDD’S.
- Please refrain from accessing sites other users would find objectionable. NO PORNOGRAPHIC SITES.
- Printing: Students have the cost of their print jobs deducted from their term print/copy allowance. The library cannot add funds to these accounts; the business office handles this process. Students can email a request or make the request in person at the Business Office located on the second floor of Colonial Hall.
- NO UNAUTHORIZED DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLATION OF FILES OR PROGRAMS.
For information on using the University facilities for meetings, please get in touch with the Development Office at (931) 363-9815. THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF LIBRARY PROPERTY IS PUNISHABLE BY FINES, PROSECUTION, AND/OR SUSPENSION.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask the library staff for assistance.