The faculty and staff of The University of Tennessee Southern want every student to have a successful experience and are committed to providing them the best academic advisement possible.
First-time entering freshmen are required to participate in the First Year Experience Program, which begins just prior to the start of the semester and continues through the term. During FYE, students are introduced to the campus community, the academic program, and student life. Placement testing occurs during this time to help identify strengths and weaknesses in prior academic training. Based on these results, students may be advised or required to take one or more courses designed to help them overcome prior academic deficiencies or accelerated to reflect academic strengths. First Year Experience (FYE) covers a variety of topics designed to promote a successful transition to UT Southern. First year students are mentored by their FYE instructors. The typical first year student will enroll in 13-16 hours per semester.
Generally, new first-time freshmen or transfer students are advised and may register during summer orientation. During the initial semester of enrollment, all students are assigned a faculty mentor or advisor. All students are encouraged to meet regularly with their mentor throughout their stay at UT Southern. Should there be a need to change advisors, students may contact the Registrar’s Office. Effective academic advising is vital to the success of students; however, the ultimate responsibility for enrolling in appropriate classes lies with the student.
The First-Year Experience courses are taught by instructors who also serve as their FYE students’ faculty mentor/academic advisor for their first year at UT Southern.
- Laura Morefield, Assistant Coordinator of FYE; Instructor of Human Performance and Physical Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Jennifer Adam, Assistant Professor of Music, email@example.com
- Dr. Elizabeth Badolato, Assistant Professor of English and Physics, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Stanton Belford, Associate Professor of Biology, email@example.com
- Felicia Dailey, Instructor of Nursing, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Randi McElhaney, Instructor of Nursing, email@example.com
- Brandie Paul, Head Softball Coach; Athletic Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Claire Paul, Instructor of Education, email@example.com
- Dr. Melissa Ryckman, Associate Professor of History, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Daniel Scherr, Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice, email@example.com
- Harli Standish, Adjunct Instructor of English, firstname.lastname@example.org